Monday, July 13, 2009

As they like it!


In a time not so long ago, in a land not so far away, there was a province called "Sizezero". The people of this town were obsessed with their health and fitness and their rulers did everything in their power to make sure everybody lived a "chust and tandhurust" life. Following a recent study that the people in the province were losing shape, a new rule was passed which put a ceiling on the total weight of a family based on its size. Of all the many others, the play here is set in one particular family with four members in it: Uncle Sam, Bharat Ma, Canadian Jack and Old Dragon.
The play opens in the family's living room. The mood is pensive and everybody is lost in their own thoughts. Suddenly, Uncle Sam exclaims.

Uncle Sam (Excitedly in his usual intimidating cracking voice): I have figured it out! The solution is so obvious. I can't believe we were thinking so much about it.

Bharat Ma (A hint of annoyance in her squeaky little voice): What is so obvious? I still can't figure how we meet that new weight ceiling law! All of us are healthy foodie freaks.

Old Dragon (With slits for eyes, it hisses): Of course, it is obvious. Uncle Sam and Canadian Jack are the chubbiest of the lot. They should be the ones shedding the most weight. Only then will Bharat Ma and I can make it through.

Canadian Jack (In a deep rustic voice): That will be enough. Now, I believe Dragon here will help us understand better why I and Sam must lose the weight while they make merry.

Old Dragon: Hey! when did I say Bharat Ma and me will make merry while you two lose weight. I am saying all of us need to do our bit. But the two of you must do the bulk of it.

Bharat Ma: Now I get it! Since Sam and Jack are already bulky and have no need for more as they have few obligations, we guys can probably be a little relaxed. After all dragon and I are actually picking up steam only recently.

At this point, Uncle Sam makes a grunting sound but is not heard. Dragon continues.

Old Dragon: So true Ma! You couldn't have been more spot on. It is really necessary we take action together but Sam and Jack really do more than just contribute.

Uncle Sam (In a firm tone now): Ahem Ahem! I OBVIOUSLY did not mean anything even remotely close to what Dragon said. My idea is infact contrary to it. I believe both Bharat Ma and Old Dragon must do the dirty work.

Bharat Ma (Shocked): Excuse me!! But am I hearing it right Sam!

Old Dragon (Angrily grinding its teeth and lasning its tail): I protest! It cannot be that way.

Uncle Sam (In a mocking baby tone): See, the fact is both Jack and I are used to a certain lifestyle which are not willing to give up. You two are anyways not used to it. Why bother about trying to come to us. You should lose more as you anyways have little. Besides, how can I throw my weight anymore if I don't have any.

Bharat Ma: But...but...

Old Dragon: I will not agree. I am not listening to anything what Sam and Jack saying.

Canadian Jack : Oh dear Dragon, you are so naive. Do you really think you call the shots anywhere. You are what you think you because we let you so. Now get back to making those toys.

The curtain falls.

This is how our world leaders plan to curtail carbon emissions and save our planet. The first world countries' mantra: The plenty must continue the way they live as they are used to it and the others must simply pass as they are anyways used to the tough life. So much for "The Asian age".

5 comments:

D Taureans Roar said...

nuvvu super ra

Girish said...

superb!!!never knew u had this talent of sardonic humour :)

Satanputr said...

thanx chosen1

Pratik Mandrekar said...

That's y the Maggi Revolution happened. Demand the right to boil more Maggi!

abhir bhomavat said...

nice...good to make an obvious thing humerous