Monday, August 3, 2009

The candle which won't burn!


The other day I was talking to a friend of mine when she said something very interesting. She said "you know all these funny things happen with me. I have this really weird candle which won't burn. For some reason I don't quite understand, the flame just dies away. So, all the time when there is no power I am up there trying to keep the flame alive when the whole point of trying to have the candle was so that I could do something!" When she said that, both of us found it very amusing and laughed about it. Later that day, my dad came back from one of his usual trips to Delhi. He seemed pretty tired so I didn't bother him much and went around minding my own work.
The next day I noticed he was packing his bags again. Surprised, I asked him if he was leaving again. He replied in affirmative. Now, I would be lying if I said I would miss him but, honestly even I felt a tinge of pity that he had to spend so much time away from home. It is another matter he chose this job because he loved traveling and not because he wanted a high flying lifestyle. But, there are many who crave for exactly a life like that. They would love to come back to their palatial house on the weekends with a jet lag after a busy week globe trotting. And the little time they happen to be home, they would want to browse through lifestyle magazines trying to find a sofa set that defines them or a coffee table that complements their personality. They have to have the latest home theater in their bed room and the hottest electronic phenomenon in their pocket. And if this isn't enough, even the bathroom fittings in their loo have to mirror their sense of style.
But, after all this shopping and splurging trying to make up their home to the finest taste, they prefer clocking frequent flier miles and dozing off in airport lounges waiting for their connecting flight than staying at home indulging in the very things for which they work so hard for. They prefer changing their dress in a hotel suite and living life out of a suitcase. They precisely end up doing what my friend was doing. They are so busy trying to keep the candle flame up that they forget the actual purpose of the candle.
Ambition is good. It is very important for being successful. But, one shouldn't fall in love with the pursuit of success that he can't really enjoy the taste of success anymore. The fact is, everybody has one life. And it is up to them to fill it with moments and experiences which one will cherish all life or a wardrobe full of designer wear.

4 comments:

Will-o'-the-wisp said...

well said! though to my mind if a person does like his high flying globe trotting job...he'd still want to sink in roots at one place ...so i guess his obsession over building a comfortable lifestyle cud be excused...however your argument hits the bull's eye if a person doesn't gain any pleasure out of his job ...
loved the candle analogy :D :P

Anonymous said...

It's time Edward Norton met Tyler Durden

Satanputr said...

hehe.........nice one vatican

Teja said...

Haha i was thinking of Fight Club too. . . The drive for endless accumulation of capital has become a problem.